Monday, June 25, 2007

Jelly Donut Pancakes - The Breakfast of Champions

I know, I know, I haven't written in a couple of days. A lot has happen since we last spoke. My hubby and I were in the city a couple of weeks ago and decided to take advantage of being in the city early and having all day to blow. Blowing a whole day in downtown Chicago takes energy and for that I needed food. The hubby had been researching some funky eateries online for just this occasion and suggested a place called Orange. They are known for their frushi, fresh fruit sushi. This sounded good to me, so off to Orange we go. The place is funky with waitresses that act like they don't care but are actually pretty good at their job. While perusing the menu I notice the famed jelly donut pancakes. Anyone who knows me knows I'd much rather eat junk food than anything healthy for me. So jelly donut pancakes it is. They did not disappoint. It was a stack on pancakes with blueberry filling in the middle and orange marmalade butter. The whole thing was sprinkled with real sugar, and to top it off real maple syrup. I ate the whole thing, which is amazing for me, I never finish a stack of pancakes at home. I should mention the hubby had the frushi and it was excellent. Then off to the Museum of Surgical Science. The museum is in an old house right on the lakefront. Had all kinds of old school amputation kits, fake limbs and my favorite, a vaginal speculum the size of hedge trimmers. Anyways, that was our day in the city.

I have also been volunteering at some local clinics affiliated with my school, a way to keep my head in the game so to speak. Well last week at one of the clinics I got to do an EKG on my patient. I didn't do it by myself, a fourth year student helped me, but it was cool none the less.

The training program I am following is based on minutes per week. My goal for this past week was 250 minutes. I had a bit of a head cold last week and almost died so I missed two of my workouts and ended up being 55 minutes short last week. It is okay because I was able to pick up the pace on my run. This past weekend I went to watch some of my friends compete in The Subaru Womens Triathlon in Naperville. These girls are the LunaChix tri team. I rode with them last summer and just started riding with them again this summer. It is not a big deal, the rides are open to everyone. They have been giving me alot of advise about tri training and race day tips. I had never been to watch a triathlon and I must admit it was pretty inspiring. Women of all shapes and sizes, young and old. Hell, there was a women there doing the bike leg on a single speed cruiser bike with all her stuff in a basket attached to the handlebars. It was great to see all those women looking like they were having the time of their lives. My first tri is July 8. It is a 400 meter swim, 15 mile bike and 5k run. I did some swimming drills today and will run tomorrow. As part of my training I have started using a new supplement called Powerthrist. Check out their ad below.



Oh, I forgot to mention I helped my hubby's cousin buy a road bike last weekend. He ended up getting a pretty good deal on a used bike that had barely been ridden. Kind of fun to get someone else involved in biking.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

Moist Rub said...

It's important to keep up your carbs during training. I'm not doctor, but my brother is, and he eats jelly donuts and pancakes at every meal. He's had enough carbs to train for the next fifty-seven years.

Good luck tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Just reading about those pancakes makes me drool...

Very cool about the EKG experience. I assume you performed it on someone else, not on yourself? ;-)