Monday, June 4, 2007

In My Spare Time

Okay so I was talking to my sister the other day, she is the foremost authority on anything social, and she was like,
"Do you have a myspace?"
Me: "Um.. no"
Her: "Why not?"
Me: "My life is not that interesting."
Her: "Oh my god.. whatever."

Her words so moved me that I decided I should blog like the wind. I still don't think my life is that interesting. I am a second year medical student, meaning I just finished my first year and now I have 3 months to reflect on the craziness that is medical school and decide if I am going back, which I probably will since I have already accrued a ridiculous amount of debt and my hubby will sell me in to prostitution if I don't.

So what am I doing with my last summer ever you ask?

Well because I have 3 months off and nothing to do with my time I decided to train for a sprint triathlon. If you have never done one of these it is usually a 375 to 800 meter swim followed by a 12 to 15 mile bike followed by a 5K run. This may seem like no big deal to some of you but I assure you it is more difficult than it seems. Case in point, I consider myself an avid cyclist, at least I was before medical school. I used to ride anywhere from 50 to 100 miles per week between my road and mt bike. I have just recently started running, so I am not fast, but I am able to do about 2.25 miles 3-4 times per week. This past weekend I decided to get a feel for what I would be doing. I rode 14.6 miles and then got off my bike and ran 2 miles. For the first 5 minutes of my run I couldn't catch my breath and had to walk a little. My original plan was to run 2.5 miles but when I got to my 1 mile mark my legs were not happy so I had to turn back. By the time I got home I had a whole new appreciation for triathletes. Anyways, I was not discouraged. I proceeded to get up the following day for my morning run after which I felt pretty good.

Today was a weight training day and tomorrow is a run day. I am increasing my run distance this week and will do my first ever 5K this weekend. I am also planning on doing a duathlon this summer before the triathlon, a kind of "warm up" if you will.

Okay, so that is out of the way. Umm... what else.

Books that I am reading:

1) Rapid Interpretation of EKGs- Because someone is gonna have to read these EKG thingys when I am a doctor and it might as well be me.

2) BSR Physiology Review. I will admit I am a nerd. But physio was hard and I have a feeling I am gonna need some of that info to get through rotations.

I have already finished 3 non school related books so back off.

I am pretty sure my husband is trying to ship me off to South America. He keeps suggesting I take total immersion spanish....in another country. Not sure how to take that. While I agree spanish is a good skill to have in the medical profession, I am pretty darn comfy right where I am right now.

So that is my first post. Come back and see what I am up to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luvin' that pic!

Talk to you soon,
Sherlafawnda

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll leave my 1st comment on a blog on your first blog post! Sherlafawnda called it on the picture.

Tri-tip of the day:

You can expect your legs to feel like lead when you 1st get off your bike to run. Once you get through the 1st mile it usually gets better. You can train your legs to get used to the transition too. Try putting your bike on a trainer at a track. Then alternate between running a lap and riding.

Stormy

Anonymous said...

I'm now going to blog on the comment section of your blog. Not only did I find out my 18yr old goddaughter's mother (41 yrs old) is pregnant, I just learned that my former college roomie just had her 2nd baby at 40.

What is going on???? I thought we were past all that! Stormy and Hautesumernite, if you two come up prego then I'll know I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Sherlafawnda
The "Barren"ess

Moist Rub said...

If having an interesting life was a requirement for obtaining a myspace page, 99 percent of the myspace pages would never have seen the light of day.

Keep it up, baby. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you on the myspace thing, that stuff is sorta scary.

But blog like the wind, Ms. F'er! I'm loving it!

p.s. I'm not too worried about you getting shipped off to a foreign country to learn Spanish, especially with you in training, I think you can handle the Mr. F'er!

p.s. Wise Word Verification gave me one that looks like a medical procedure: cpudoamy. How appropo!